A Memory of Beauty

Post your stories here.
shmrck1019
Gold Member

A Memory of Beauty

Post by shmrck1019 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:47 pm

Day after day I drove my car on a road that lead from in town to my subdivision. Houses, each one different and with charm, were on this road. There was one house that always caught my eye. It was a plain white house with dark green trim.

It wasn’t a lavish house nor stood out by its looks. To most it was plain and hardly worth the time to look at it. Still there was a certain charm that drew me to glance over to look at it as I drove by.

Every Spring and Summer I would see a little old couple working in the yard. They pulled weeds, planted their flowers, and sat outside enjoying the beauty of their hard work. As each day went by, I also enjoyed seeing the beauty of their hard work. Their flowers were so beautiful. I always drove away with a smile on my face.

Winter came and the cold winds brought snow that would cover our town like a thick blanket. I always looked out of my window and thought of how wonderful it would be when Spring would again grace our town. I longed to see flowers bloom and the trees come to life with their greenery.

When Winter left to make way for Spring, I began to look for the little old couple who would once again come out to work in their yard to bring the beauty back. Each day I drove by and glanced at the house looking for them. By the end of Spring I realized that the little old couple would not be coming out to do their work and I wondered why.

The start of summer began and one morning I saw what looked to be a for sale sign. My heart sank. What happened to cause this house to be put up for sale? It wasn’t until later that I found out that the old woman had died, and her husband was placed into a nursing home.

Many of my neighbors had expressed how they miss seeing the little old couple and their lovely flowers. I was surprised to find that I was not the only one who got pleasure from driving by that house.

They will never know how much their hard work touched so many. They brought not just joy to themselves, but to this small town. Yes, they and their flowers will be missed for many years to come.

The other day I drove by the house and decided to pull my car over to park in front it. As I sat there, I noticed something special. A small bush in the front of the house was blooming with little pink flowers. Taking my hands I rubbed my eyes thinking I was just seeing things. When I took my hands away from my eyes I could see that it was still there.

As I sat there, I thought to myself that maybe this was their way of staying connected to this house and this yard. Then I realized that their memory would always linger on in this town. They would not be forgotten. I drove off once again with a smile on my face. It was wide.
You can read more about me at:
http://www.pamelawaller.net

I'd be bound for Dublin soon! :)
Me Irish eyes be a smilin so. Top of the day / evenin to ye!!!

Jeff Guest

Post by Jeff Guest » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:25 am

Wonderful write Pamela, it put a smile on my face!!!

shmrck1019
Gold Member

Post by shmrck1019 » Sun Jun 18, 2006 6:08 pm

Thanks again, Jeff for your kind words. This is a true story also. :)

bradmurphyackermanms
Diamond Member

Post by bradmurphyackermanms » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:24 pm

Wonderful story, Pam. I could just see the old couple working in their yard and I bet those flowers were so very beautiful!

shmrck1019
Gold Member

Post by shmrck1019 » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:33 am

Yes Brad those flowers were so lovely to look at. I go by that house all the time now and I always think of that couple. There is a new family that lives in there now and the woman has a doll collection that she displays in her windows. They are lovely too.

littlefeather500
Platinum Member

Post by littlefeather500 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:57 am

That is a sweet story. My grandparents once they moved off the farm had a yard that was breath taking in front of thier little simple house. people often drove by and took pics. You brought that memory to life for me. Thank you for sharing. Ps I know have a garden of roses that my neighbors come to see. it makes me feel as if I am carrying the family torch. They are really God's roses, I just care for them.
Littlefeather500

shmrck1019
Gold Member

Post by shmrck1019 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 12:31 pm

Thanks for your comment Littlefeather. I am so happy to know that it brought good memories for you. I want to thank you for sharing about your flowers and how you carry on with them. Yes, they are God's gift to us. :)