THE SPIRIT PLACE

Post your stories here.
Linner
Diamond Member

THE SPIRIT PLACE

Post by Linner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:38 pm

THE SPIRIT PLACE

The silence is what you notice at first. It’s almost like there is a time bubble around it.

A herd of twenty goats lives on these seven acres. I jokingly call them the Guardians of the Artifacts. No one wants to go in there very much, mostly because of one old goat named Chance. You take your ‘chances’ with Chance, let me tell you. He starts out by wanting his head scratched, then he starts to get pushy. He can ruin a nice day in a heartbeat when he starts swinging those horns at you ! Last week I had a run-in with Chance, and I had to yell ‘QUIT’ with all my might to even make him stop and take notice. He is the epitome of that term “stubborn old goat” ! He is old...and grumpy, too. Sometimes he just doesn’t care to bother you, and that is what I call a real nice day ! I have wondered if he would come running up behind me and butt me in the rear as I bend over to pick something up...but those eyes in the back of my head make sure that won’t happen.

There is one little guy who follows me around. He’s like a miniature goat. His coat is brown, his horns are small nubbies and his front legs are bowed, earning him the name of Cowboy. He is really cute, shy but curious, and gets the ‘raw deal’ from the others’ horns a lot. He looks like he got the worst of his genetic pool from the git go. Still walking around and taking nourishment, though, so they have all figured out a pecking order, I guess. I am still learning about goats. Will be doing that for a while !

So, away from the goats for a bit and back to the property. I have been all over the three acres that comprises the front yard area, back yard area and the middle part which the house sits on. This acreage also has the large barn building and my shed, plus a water tank shed. Three acres is a decent walk on any day, but when I get out back into the goat pasture, man, that is some healthy walking ! I have figured out that back there...or over there, not sure which it is...there is a natural clearing about a few acres in size. I have found most of the large artifacts and large working rocks in this area. The whole piece is sandy. The goats keep the vegetation under great control and leave the sand with some leaves scattered around on it. I can walk around back there and find pieces of knapped rock just laying on the surface of the ground. I found an arrowhead last week in that cleared area. That makes three for me since I moved here in June.

I wear an apron most of the time and the pockets sure do come in handy. My first trip to the goat pasture found me trudging back to the house with my pockets so full of rocks and pieces that I must have looked a sight...all bulging pockets and a silly satisfied grin on my face ! I try to think of how to describe the atmosphere out there. I know now in that clearing I am probably walking through what must have been a village, or a camp that had been there for a long time. It was definitely a place where a lot of tools were knapped out of the rocks they brought from other areas in their travels. Florida doesn’t seem to have many solid, hard rocks, so, like a lot of tribes, these people went on gathering trips to acquire or find the kinds of stone needed to make arrowheads, spears, hatchets, knives and other implements. They would bring these supplies back to their villages or camps and get busy making what they needed. Nor did many of the chips and pieces get wasted. I have found in research and from my own discovery that these smaller pieces would have an impression on one side for the thumb to rest in, making the piece into a small cutting tool, or a scraper for hides and fish, even pointed pieces for poking holes in hides so they could be sewn for clothing or shelter.

I am so curious as to how these tools were used. I soaked some in soapy bleach water one day, then practiced cutting a carrot with them. That chip of rock was sharper than your sharpest blade. The edge is naturally thin and sharp from being knapped right off the side of a larger working piece of rock. I have even cut myself a few times with careless handling of these sharp pieces.

I like to mentally speak with these people when I am handling their old tools, or when I know I am walking over their footsteps from so many, many years ago. I am still doing research on the tribes that inhabited this area, and am very interested in the TIMUCUAN Tribe. My research shows that in 1800, there was only one single member of this tribe still alive. It shocked me to read that. Can you imagine being the very last survivor of your tribe ? And with no prospect of there ever being any more of you in the future ? It makes me sad and it makes me feel closer to these people who were here so long ago and who are now gone from here. It makes me want to find out who really was here and what happened to them to make it so that I am here finding bits and pieces of their lives and wanting to fill in the blanks ... To BE them and try to understand what happened to them and in what time frame.

The Spirit Place. Yes, I think I named it properly. It is like going to a cathedral when I go to walk around the clearing out there. The Spirit Place.

I will be back later with an update to share with you. Thank you for your eyes to read this, we do appreciate your interest.

Linda Vale Martin and Spirit Friends...
Always be kind and fair; it all comes back to you in time ! Image

Indigo Blue
Platinum Member

Re: THE SPIRIT PLACE

Post by Indigo Blue » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:30 pm

Oh Linda The spirit place sounds like an amazing sanctuary.Wow and the way you describe it in details is awesome.I'm so happy you are in a better place and a more positive enviornment.This is just what you needed!!! I look forward to hearing more about Your Spirit Place.
I Love You
Lynelle
IF I WAS TAKEN AWAY TODAY
WOULD YOU STILL REMEMBER ME TOMORROW

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:44 pm

Hey girl !! How nice to see you here !! I am very pleased that you enjoyed my Spirit Place, Lynelle. I thought writing about it would better explain it than trying to make a huge poem out of it...lol !! Thanks for stopping in and sharing the space with me, girl !! I love you, too...

Love, Linda :D :wink:

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:56 pm

miscwp4.jpg  INDAIN CHIEF.jpg
miscwp4.jpg INDAIN CHIEF.jpg (96.69 KiB) Viewed 4143 times

Hey Linda, very interesting story you have gave us. Have you ever thought you might be a desendants of these people, some where way back in your DNA. You never know, strange you are drawn to the artifacts and feel the spirits of these people. Like when I discovered my ancestors lived in the same place I was living at one time, right on the river, the Ohio River and the Cumberland River emptied into the Ohio River in front of my house. William Clark with the Lewis and Clark expeditions. What a surprise for me, check your geology. You certainly have the facial features of having Indain in you. Who knows some white man came through selected a wife and some where down the line came you and now your back to your roots and spirit world of your ancestors. Will be waiting to hear more of the history and findings. love Brenda

ImSaved2
Platinum Member

Post by ImSaved2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:34 pm

WOW! Linda, how fascinating!!! I hope I have time to read about more of your exploits!!! Did you know they did a DNA trace on the Discovery Channel? They took random blood samples of over 100,000 (not sure exact number) of people all over the world. Then they compared the DNA. We are all more closely related than you might think. In fact we are all no farther than sixteenth cousins!!! So, Brenda may be on to something :wink: You never know cousin!!!
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:2

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:39 pm

I knew I liked you, girl....LOL !!! :lol: :lol: Now I know why....you is my cuz !! Oh no, what is this going to mean ??? :shock: More birthdays and graduations and things ??? :? LOL !!

I have always had this closeness feeling with the Indian people. I know there is something there, girl...I shall have to figure out how to find out for sure....thanks for that interesting information!!

Love ya !!

ImSaved2
Platinum Member

Post by ImSaved2 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:59 pm

I'll send you the list of special occasions ASAP LOL (just kidding)!!! Isn't Native American history fascinating?!? I grew up spending time with Kiowa tribe in Oklahoma as a kid. The chief and I shared the same birthday and celebrated together several years. I have a Kiowa dress that was made for me. In fact, when we lived in Kansas my daughter, who was about 7 years old at the time wore it to a tribal celebration thingy going on (I can't remember the name of the tribe). A Cherokee woman who was there noticed the dress and knew instantly that it was Kiowa, and of course she wanted to know why a little blonde girl was wearing it. I told her how I had been given the dress as a child because it had been made for me. And she explained the significance of the markings on the dress (which I had never understood). The dress actually marked me as the chief's granddaughter!!! Cool huh!?! Then she told me to take care of it because it was practically priceless!!! And to me it is!!!! But because of the memories and sentimental value involved!!! When we came to California my family lost touch with all of them :( :( :(
Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Eph. 4:2

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:06 am

Hmmmm...sounds like it is time for mending that broken thread in the dreamcatcher, girl...that is too special to let go like that.

Helen Herliana
Platinum Member

Post by Helen Herliana » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 am

I'm as curious as you, Linda! I'm looking forward to hear your fascinating findings. This place must be a great adventure for you... and b/c you share it with us, it is a great adventure for us too. I'm very excited, you know.... I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories/ poems. By the way, thanks for sharing them with us!

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:09 am

Brenda Pike wrote:
miscwp4.jpg INDAIN CHIEF.jpg

Hey Linda, very interesting story you have gave us. Have you ever thought you might be a desendants of these people, some where way back in your DNA. You never know, strange you are drawn to the artifacts and feel the spirits of these people. Like when I discovered my ancestors lived in the same place I was living at one time, right on the river, the Ohio River and the Cumberland River emptied into the Ohio River in front of my house. William Clark with the Lewis and Clark expeditions. What a surprise for me, check your geology. You certainly have the facial features of having Indain in you. Who knows some white man came through selected a wife and some where down the line came you and now your back to your roots and spirit world of your ancestors. Will be waiting to hear more of the history and findings. love Brenda
Gosh that is a beautiful picture, Brenda !! You know what....I think you are probably right. After what Jeanette said, too, it makes me believe that there is a thread connecting me to the Indian culture. Maybe your friend could help me with that ??? Thanks for reading my write here, girl....

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Fri Aug 28, 2009 12:11 am

Helen Herliana wrote:I'm as curious as you, Linda! I'm looking forward to hear your fascinating findings. This place must be a great adventure for you... and b/c you share it with us, it is a great adventure for us too. I'm very excited, you know.... I'm looking forward to reading more of your stories/ poems. By the way, thanks for sharing them with us!
Aw, Helen....that is really nice of you to say that !! Thank you, and I sure will be doing another write of this kind to keep you all up to date on what the happenings are here in the park !! Love you, girlfriend !!! :wink: :wink:

ARPoet
Gold Member

Post by ARPoet » Sat Aug 29, 2009 2:07 am

Well Linda... you have treated me to a great read about your new area, and for that i thank you. I hope that one day you will write your life story, for im sure we, your friends, would love to read it.
Hugs xxx Roger
Dont rush to do today what you can leave until tomorrow... tomorrow you may do it much better...

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:50 am

thanks so much, Roger...for reading and commenting on my write here. I don't know about that book of my life. I feel like it didn't really start until Randy...and y'all know the rest !! Open book !!

Love, Linda :D :) :lol: :wink: