VOICES FROM OUR PAST

Post poetry that does not fit any of our categories here.
Marlys
Platinum Member

VOICES FROM OUR PAST

Post by Marlys » Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:21 pm

~ Voices From Our Past ~

Some may think it morbid, a graveyard when they pass
I'd like to answer 'There is more', voices from the past

With each and every person, who's found this resting place
Has their unique story, that time can not erase

They may have lived a short time, or may have lived it long
Yet within their lifetime, they sang their own heart song

They were sons and daughters, to those who lived before
They were sisters or were brothers, of families even more

A mother or a father, to those now left behind
Connection ever lasting, that lasts throughout all time

Some changed this life for better, some changed it for the worse
But change all made by being, they touched it with their birth

Some may have taught the children, some may have fought a fight
Some may have been protectors, keeping safe throughout the night

Some may have been a healer, some may have nursed the sick
Some may have tended gardens, then harvest as they pick

Some may have walked before us, exploring a brand new way
Armed with only courage, to welcome come-what-may

There's one thing for certain, these lives now as well as then
All do tell a story, if you spend some time with them

!!!

One of my passions is to take the time to honor those who have once lived
Each life, regardless of the days spent here with us, have left their heart-print
The next time you visit a city, take the time to explore a cemetery....Their voices are the link to all of our paths..I recently visited the historical site of Bellefontaine Cemetery in St.Louis Mo. Over 550 famous voices lay to rest here..such as Daniel Boone below

BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!
Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly.

Linner
Diamond Member

Re: VOICES FROM OUR PAST

Post by Linner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 10:09 pm

Marlys, I have heard it said, and I believe it to be true, that whomever walks in a certain place leaves a trace of themselves...their essence...there. In such a way, one never is gone but remains. This may be the "feeling" one gets in a certain place. I have never been to a place that made me feel fearful.

Cemeteries are beautiful, restful places to be in. I was in Mammoth Cave Park recently, and have a picture of a small one there.

It is right beside the Baptist church that still stands there, where Brenda used to go to services.

You should see the outhouse that was once used...it is now very "air conditioned " !! Not much attention being paid to keeping it restored, let's say !!

I love your poem and am happy that you go to these places to visit the souls who are still around. It is fascinating, sad, and yet a good thing to read the names and even say them as if to give them acknowledgement that once they walked the earth. Good or bad, like you said, still, they were and are souls. No wonder you are Earthchild...

Love, Moonchild :D :wink:
Always be kind and fair; it all comes back to you in time ! Image

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:00 pm

WOW dear Moonchild..I love your pics here..thank you for sharing with me!
I always take a moment at each person's resting place acknowledging their life..
My kids think it's odd that I want to be cremated when I love graveyards so much..I may just change my mind..after all, there maybe someone who would enjoy my story as I do others.
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!
Life is too short for drama & petty things, so kiss slowly, laugh insanely, Love truly and forgive quickly.

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Wed Jun 16, 2010 11:40 pm

You can be cremated and still be laid to rest in a cemetary. There are no rules that say otherwise, and recently a friend of Brenda's was laid to rest that way...Walter Baker.

It was my pleasure to share the pictures...it's really beautiful in Mammoth Cave Park. It is a huge park and has little stores all over it for selling mementos and such. Horse riding trails, picnic places, camping areas, the Green River and its three ferry spots...trees galore and the way the land takes huge dips and rises and curvey roads and huge, high cut stone walls along them, where the roadway was put through.....it is an amazing park !! And of course, dang good fishin' !!!

Love you, Moonchild :D :) :lol: :wink:
Always be kind and fair; it all comes back to you in time ! Image

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:53 pm

It will all be up to my kids I guess..I won't care after the fact.. :lol:
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!

DeaconSteve
Diamond Member

Post by DeaconSteve » Sat Jun 19, 2010 2:22 am

I just absolutely love this awesome and so wonderful poem. This sure has captured this heart Marlys. This is truly a magnificant write, and you are so very right about all of those who leave a heart print. And I have also been to Bellfountain Neighbors cemetary in St. Louis and have seen Daniel Boones grave, among all of the others. Beautifully write dear friend. Thank you for sharing this. You continue to be an excellent poet, as is seen in every poem you write. God bless.
Live today as if it were your last, for tomorrow it will be your past, but live it with peace in mind, joy to find, and for God divine!

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Sat Jun 19, 2010 3:20 am

Thank you dear Steve!! You flatter me..and I love it that you are touched by my words
I wish I had more time here in St.Louis to explore..I am taking a tour of Daniel Boone's home today (Saturday) So much history in this area...The Cahokia indian mounds are another amazing place. I climbed to the top of the monk's mound and just stood in awe..a civilization in AD 700-A.D. 1200..people lived out generations there, then seemed to vanish
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Sat Jun 19, 2010 5:52 pm

Well, today I visited a home of Daniel Boone. I discovered that the grave I had visited last week was not his but that of one of his relatives..bummer :(
It also came to light that Daniel's grave is controversial..I think it's very interesting...for those who may care to know the story, I have c/p it for you below
Daniel Boone's remains suffered body-snatching shenanigans but with a twist: He appears to have ended up in two graves.

Everyone agrees that Boone died at his son's home near Defiance, Missouri, in 1820. Everyone also agrees that he was buried nearby in Marthasville (about 14 mi. west), near the grave of his wife, Rebecca. But then the story gets muddled. The folks in Frankfort, Kentucky, would have you believe that Rebecca and Daniel were exhumed 25 years later and reintered in Frankfort Cemetery. The marker near Defiance mentions the reinterment, but...

Frankfort's Boone grave.

According to Defiance, Frankfort dug up the wrong body. The grave next to Rebecca's was already occupied when Daniel died, they say, so he was buried at her feet. Daniel's relatives were angry at Frankfort and didn't tell them about his true burial plot. They let Frankfort cart away the body next to Rebecca's, the body of a stranger.

Scientific scrutiny seems to support Defiance's claims. A forensic anthropologist studied a plaster cast of the skull in Frankfort's "Daniel Boone" grave in 1983 and said that it really belonged to a large black man. Frankfort, of course, pooh-poohed those allegations.

Both graves have worthy monuments. Frankfort's is bigger (that was, ostensibly, the reason for the move in the first place) but it's in a big cemetery and must share its surroundings with other dead people. The memorial near Defiance is out by itself, and it's worth remembering that Daniel Boone's own reason for leaving Kentucky was that it was "too crowded."
The actual grave below
So..you might say Rebecca is eternally sleeping with the wrong man! :roll: :roll: :roll:
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!

Sir Daniel
Platinum Member

Post by Sir Daniel » Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:53 pm

Wow, this was so interesting. Beyond sharing a first name with Daniel Boone, I've relatives who claim we are related to him PLUS I'm from Missouri too so I really enjoyed reading this poem (which I so agree with) and the comments after. I have always been fascanated with cemetaries because I know there are so many stories under the ground that just beg to be told. I have walked between the stones in the past and closed my eyes and just imagined the lives lived and died.. I even started a poem one time (a co-write) set in a cemetary about star crossed lovers who never found each other in life yet were burried near each other, but unfort. things happened and I never finished the story.

Really enjoyed, take care.

~ Daniel

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you Daniel..we all probably have some "famous" connection..When my younger kids were in school, their friends found it hard to believe that they were related to their sister who was an actress. I told them to say "Don't you think famous people have relatives?" LOL

i think your story line would make a wonderful write. You should persue it
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!

Judith Johnson Kypta
Gold Member

Post by Judith Johnson Kypta » Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:12 pm

Marlys. . .I am glad to see that I am not the only one that "Ponders" over graves, when in a Cemetary. I look at the names, dates, figure their age, then wonder what took them. . .I think of the people that grieve them, etc. . . I love your poem on the subject. Yes, Marlys. . .We all have a story, and I am glad you captured in words, a way for others to think on that a bit. . .
Thanks for shearing,
Blessings,
JJK
What the world requires of the Christians . . . is that they should continue to be Christians

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Sun Jun 20, 2010 11:12 pm

Thank you Judith..It perhaps interests those of us who are observers of all nature..that's why we write about life..we see it in a way most people never open their eyes and minds to..we are genuinely intested in all life, present, past and future
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:20 am

MARLYS, WHAT AND INTERESTING POEM. I LIKE VERY MUCH WHAT YOU HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THE PEOPLE WHO HAVE LIVED BEFORE US AND NOW WHISPER SOME PART OF THIER LIFE TO US AS WE STROLL THROUGH THE CEMETRARIES. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THIS MEANINGFUL POEM. LOVE BRENDA

Marlys
Platinum Member

Post by Marlys » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:46 am

Thank you dear Brenda..old Boone must have left many whispered words in your area..including most of his family. I have never been to Kentucky, but I would love to
BE TRUE TO YOURSELF!