Jesus' Last Words on the Cross...

Post any topic you like here. Share your thoughts on life, love, friendship, etc.
Jeff Guest

Post by Jeff Guest » Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:07 am

The hill is quiet now. Not still but quiet. For the first time all day there is no noise. The clamor began to subside when the darkness—that puzzling midday darkness—fell. Like water douses a fire, the shadows doused the ridicule. No more taunts. No more jokes. No more jesting. And, in time, no more mockers. One by one the onlookers turned and began the descent.

That is, all the onlookers except you and me. We did not leave. We came to learn. And so we lingered in the semidarkness and listened. We listened to the soldiers cursing, the passersby questioning, and the women weeping. But most of all, we listened to the trio of dying men groaning. Hoarse, guttural, thirsty groans. They groaned with each rolling of the head and each pivot of the legs.

But as the minutes became hours, these groans diminished. The three seemed dead. Were it not for the belabored breathing, you would have thought they were.

Then he screamed. As if someone had yanked his hair, the back of his head slammed against the sign that bore his name, and he screamed. Like a dagger cuts the curtain, his scream cut the dark. Standing as straight as the nails would permit, he cried as one calling for a lost friend, “Eloi!”

His voice was raspy, scratchy. Reflections of the torch flame danced in his wide eyes. “My God!”

Ignoring the volcano of erupting pain, he pushed upward until his shoulders were higher than his nailed hands. “Why have you forsaken me?”

The soldiers stared. The weeping of the women ceased. One of the Pharisees sneered sarcastically, “He’s calling Elijah.”

No one laughed.

He’d shouted a question to the heavens, and you half expected heaven to shout one in return.

And apparently it did. For the face of Jesus softened, and an afternoon dawn broke as he spoke a final time. “It is finished. Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.”
As he gave his final breath, the earth gave a sudden stir. A rock rolled, and a soldier stumbled. Then, as suddenly as the silence was broken, the silence returned.

And now all is quiet. The mocking has ceased. There is no one to mock.

The soldiers are busy with the business of cleaning up the dead. Two men have come. Dressed well and meaning well, they are given the body of Jesus.

Max Lucado
"For God’s mercy reaches unto the heavens, and His truth unto the clouds" (Psalm 57:10, NKJV).

hisheart
Diamond Member

Re: Jesus' Last Words on the Cross...

Post by hisheart » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:55 am

Dear Jeff,

This story never gets easier to read. It never fails to make me think that it was so heartbreaking and so sad that because of ME, God's perfect Lamb, had to suffer like this. There has never been another love to compare with this love. Mankind brought all this upon himself because he chose to sin in the garden. And, because we would never overcome this bad choice, a King was sent from Heaven who willingly died and paid the greatest debt any could ever imagine. And what did we have to do in order to receive this pardon?? We had to believe!!

Jeff, this is just such a stark reminder of what our Savior did for each of us. Thank you ever so much for this wonderful reminder today. I hope that each of us who have accepted this free gift of eternity in Heaven will be sure to share it with those who still just don't get it. Time is so short.

God bless you and Pokey who have so lovingly shared so much with us during this very humbling season. Praise God for His love that has no boundaries. Thank You, too, Lord Jesus for all the suffering. I know that YOU DID IT ALL FOR ME!! I THANK YOU AND I LOVE YOU!

Again, Jeff, thank you for keeping your mind upon the cross! You serve a Mighty God!

Love you,
Karen
Proverbs 11:30 The fruit of the righteous is a tree of life; and he that winneth souls is wise.

Hope
Diamond Member

Post by Hope » Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Jeff,
This is so good but so hard to read it makes me want to cry! To be loved so much is beyond anything we have ever known.

God Bless You Love Eva

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:41 pm

JEFF, AWESOME MESSAGE, THANK YOU. HOW MAN CAN EVER FORGET JESUS DEATH, AND HIS LOVE FOR US. GOD BLESS YOU. LOVE BRENDA

poet1108
Platinum Member

Post by poet1108 » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:20 pm

Jeff, thank you for posting these words by Max.....I truly do understand what Max is saying as I found myself seeing those Last Words of Jesus in a new way when I did my Easter CD write......you continue to bless us with your postings......KayD
Poet1108--Kay A Davis

Happy Holmes1
Diamond Member

Post by Happy Holmes1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 pm

O Jeff, these are powerful words! Thank you for sharing Max Lucado's inspired words of the Lord with us. Very thought-provoking, worthy read.

I am hoping this computer doesn't shut off before I finish my thoughts! How I have missed my NetHug buddies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HappyDawn
Don't let someone's dill pickle make your sweet one, sour! -Happy's Thoughts!