Post your stories here.
Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

A TASTE OF HONEY

Post by Brenda Pike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:40 am

RIDE OUT THE STORM.gif
RIDE OUT THE STORM.gif (80.29 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
A TASTE OF HONEY

We are told constantly to ‘live in the moment,’ otherwise time has a way of passing you by. I’m beginning to believe that statement—Turn around a few times in a day, take a few phone calls, read some emails, and daylight suddenly has turned to dark of night.

I find myself living a daily ritual; I go to bed when I’m tired, eat when I’m hungry, busy myself during the day, or lay about doing nothing. Rarely do I care what time it is. It usually doesn't matter unless I have a doctor’s appointment, or something of the sort.

In my youth, I would never have dreamed the day would come when I would be satisfied to sit at home doing nothing fun or constructive. I was always on the go, and had plans for every single day. I never thought health issues would be an issue. My health was taken for granted because it was so good.

Ah, but now I find, life changes take place inside and out. I don't recognize myself any longer. I think differently, my interests have changed, and I’ve gained a few unwanted pounds.

Thank God, my hair has not thinned, and the color is still attractive. The good Lord has spared me from having deep wrinkles on my face, as well.

Looking back, I find life gives you a taste of honey now and then, and for a brief time, all is well. But with aging, there is no more honey to taste, or new avenues to take in life. You look back, and think, I would have been better off never to have tasted that sweet nectar. At least, I wouldn’t miss what I’d never had.

After a rough upbringing on a tobacco farm in Kentucky, life finally began to come easy for me in my late twenties. All the goals and dreams I’d had were accomplished. I must admit though, I was robbed of one goal in life that will never be fulfilled—rocking my own grand-babies on my knee in old age.

At times, I feel my life has been a dream. There was lots of sweet honey along the way. I had it all, but material things in life mean little to me now. Where once I was on top of world with all one could desire, I was not happy. And, as God teaches, it can all be taken away in the twinkling of an eye.

Life changed rapidly. I was caught off guard when I lost both my children, and had to leave an abusive situation later—fleeing a very wealthy husband.

Everything fell apart with situations and events I could not control. Everything I loved in this world had slipped away right before my eyes.

I roamed about many years before I came to realize, this is as good as its going to get.

I find little joy or excitement facing the days ahead. Times have changed—morals, respectabilities, patriotism, politics, and most people too are no longer kind and honest. I now believe, if all you have are a few friends from your youth at the end of life, you are richly blessed.

I suppose, I'm where God intends for me to be, and I accept His decision.

I'm tired, bewildered, have ridden all life’s rodeos and seen the seven wonders of the world. Life for me has been rich, and full of just what God wanted for me.

Life's honey was sweet and fine while it was freely given, and I have golden memories of it all.

Brenda Clark Pike
©2012
RIDE OUT THE STORM.gif
RIDE OUT THE STORM.gif (80.29 KiB) Viewed 3774 times
Last edited by Brenda Pike on Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Linner
Diamond Member

Re: A TASTE OF HONEY

Post by Linner » Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:34 am

A WONDERFUL WRITE AND SHARING, BRENDA. NEVER THINK THAT THE HONEY HAS STOPPED ITS FLOW, THOUGH....AT OUR AGE, IT COMES IN DROPS !! JUST NEED TO BE READY TO CATCH 'EM !! YOU DID AN AWESOME JOB ON THIS ONE, GIRL...GETTING BETTER AND BETTER ALL THE TIME !! WE'RE LIKE FINE WINE AND CHEESE...AGING HAS ITS GOOD POINTS...LOL !! YOU NEED ONLY TO BELIEVE THAT, AND REMEMBER THAT GOD STILL HAS PLANS FOR YOU, AND ANYTHING FROM GOD IS SOOO SWEET !!

LOVE, LINDA
Always be kind and fair; it all comes back to you in time ! Image

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:02 am

THANKS LINDA FOR THE KIND COMMENTS. YES, LIFE IS FULL OF SWEET DROPS OF HONEY EVEN WHEN WE ARE IN OUR TWLIGHT YEARS. :D MY LIFE HAS REALLY BEEN A HIGH ON LIFE AND I'M HAVING TO AJUST TO THE SLOWER PACE, WHICH IN MY MIND I THINK I CAN STILL HOOT WITH THE OWLS AND SOAR WITH THE EAGLES IN THE DAY. GUESS TIME CAUGHT UP WITH ME. I'M GRATEFUL FOR EVERYTHING GOD LET ME EXPERIENCE AND TAUGHT ME. MANY BLESSING TO YOU DEAR FRIEND. LOVE BRENDA :) :)

Hope
Diamond Member

Post by Hope » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:53 am

Brenda,
I really loved what you wrote here and I know so many can relate to this. But I have to say I believe you are still tasting honey only in different ways! And you just shared some with us through the things God gives you to write that is touching so many! These are our golden years and our once overly active honey has now turned to Golden Honey! And I love the golden Honey that flows from you, you have so much to share!
God Bless You Love Eva

poet1108
Platinum Member

Post by poet1108 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:00 pm

Brenda, I concur with what both Linner and Eva have said to you about this write....very well expressed....and yes, as we get old, honey comes in various ways.....and for that I am glad......KayD
Poet1108--Kay A Davis

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:45 pm

DEAR EVA, THANK YOU FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND COMMENTS. I MUST ADMIT I'VE HAD ONE RICH JOURNEY, AND THANK GOD HE WAS WITH ME. I'M HAPPY TO SHARE THINGS THAT WILL SPEAK TO OTHERS. HOPEFULLY IT HAS GAVE THEM FOOD FOR THOUGHT OR AN ANSWER TO AND ISSUE IN THEIR LIFE. THE LIGHT OF GOD IS VERY BRIGHT AND CLEAR AS WE MATURE IN LIFE. GOD BLESS YOU, LOVE BRENDA

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Sat Mar 24, 2012 3:49 pm

DEAR KAY, THANK YOU DEAR FOR YOUR KIND COMMENTS. YES, THE SWEET DROPS OF HONEY ARE ALWAYS A DELIGHT. MANY BLESSING, LOVE BRENDA

Pokey's Heart
Diamond Member

Post by Pokey's Heart » Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:16 am

Brenda, this was just awesome! I loved every line, and knew before I got to the bottom that you had written it. Very well done, my friend! Here's to all the honey we've enjoyed, to all the bees and flowers who helped to create it, and to all the honeycomb we can chew as we grow older!
"I can do all things, through Christ, who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:07 pm

THANKS POKEY FOR THE KIND COMMENTS. GLAD YOU ENJOYED MY PROSE. BLESSING TO YOU ALWAYS. LOVE BRENDA

Chee Chee Martin
Gold Member

Post by Chee Chee Martin » Tue Mar 27, 2012 2:51 pm

This is such an awesome write sweetie! Very profound and coming from your soul ! Lots of us, in the twilight of our years, can definitely relate! I know I sure can! The Lord has blessed each of us in different ways ~ some were fortunate enough to see and do everything they wanted to in their youth and have the memories to recall over and over again! Whereas some other people are finding their "honey" now, in their golden years! It's all in how you perceive things! I have been blessed with a wonderful life and wonderful friends! Even though my body has its aches and pains and I definitely don't look like I use to in my youth, I am grateful for a wonderful husband, daughter, family, friends, home, etc.! So my next taste of "honey" will be when I meet our Lord and see friends and family who have passed before me ~ to be reunited once again! :-) We are all on that path sweetie and it is exactly what you make it to be! :-) Hugs ~ Chee :-)

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:26 pm

CHEE CHEE, THANKS FOR YOUR COMMENTS. I SUPPOSE I PONDER MANY THINGS IN MY LIFE THAT HAVE TAKEN PLACE. SOMETIMES IT SEEMS LIKE A DREAM. AND I AGREE WITH YOU THE SWEETEST HONEY OF ALL WILL BE WHEN WE ALL GATHER IN GOD'S PRESENCE. BLESS YOU DEAR FRIEND. LOVE BRENDA

Sharlee
Silver Member

Post by Sharlee » Fri Oct 19, 2012 3:15 pm

What a beautiful story. I am so sorry about the loss of your children. There is very little anyone can say that will take away that pain. Your story was a blessing and I can see areas that remind me of myself. The days seem to fly by now and I spend hours just doing nothing at all. My health is bad and there is not much I can do but I am grateful for what I can. Really loved your story. May the Lord bless you with His blessings and His love.

Love,
Sharlee

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:09 pm

the path.jpg
the path.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 3153 times
SHARLEE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT. I THOUGHT YOU WERE A PERSON OF YOUTH, WHEN READING YOUR POEMS AND STORIES. STRANGE HOW WE AGE AND OUR MINDS STAY FREE AND YOUNG. I'M SORRY TO HEAR YOUR HEALTH IS RESTRICTING YOU ALSO. GOD BLESS YOU DEAR FRIEND. LOVE BRENDA

Janice Kennedy
Diamond Member

Post by Janice Kennedy » Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:30 am

Dear Brenda, I can see myself in part of your story. Especially the parts about poor health and getting older.
The medications that I now have to take, keep me feeling sleepy and tired all of the time. But, I know without a doubt,
that there is still honey in the rock. Sweet, sweet honey that our Lord will always provide. Enjoyed reading your story,
my dear sweet friend.

Love and Hugs Jan ))(( )))(((
Attachments
2zrj3o3.jpg
2zrj3o3.jpg (14.11 KiB) Viewed 3127 times
JESUS MESSIAH, NAME ABOVE ALL NAMES. JESUS MESSIAH, LORD OF ALL.
LET YOUR LIGHT SHINE ALL THE TIME

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:25 pm

WHAT A BEAUTY.jpg
WHAT A BEAUTY.jpg (48.91 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
DEAR JAN, YES THE MEDICATIONS WE TAKE FOR HEART PROBLEMS AND BLOOD PRESSURE SURE PUTS A DAMPER ON OUR ENERGY LEVEL. THESE WONDERFUL AUTUMN DAYS HAVE MADE ME YEARN TO HORSE BACK RIDE, EVEN PHILLIP MISSES RIDING. SO MANY ACTIVITIES WE'RE RESTRICTED TO NOW. THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENTS AND I'M HAPPY YOU ENJOYED THE READ. GOD BLESS YOU AND MAY GOD BE WITH US. LOVE BRENDA