Did the Shepherds Really Know?

Post your holiday & special Occasion poetry here.
Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Did the Shepherds Really Know?

Post by Shirley Baucom » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 pm

3.gif
3.gif (48.21 KiB) Viewed 5937 times

On that blessed holy night
So many years ago;
As angels proclaimed the Savior’s birth,
Did the Shepherds really know?

That the tiny little baby
Fast asleep upon the hay;
Was more than just a Savior
Who would “take” their sin away?

Did they think as He grew up,
He’d have a rod with magic powers.
That He‘d wave… speak a few choice words,
And take away these sins of ours?

Or, did they know about the suff’ring
Someday He’d have to bear?
That nails would pierce His hands and feet,
A crown of thorns He’d have to wear?

Perhaps they knew... it would take more
Than special words or a wand of magic…,
That the Savior’s BLOOD would wash sins away
As it flowed from the cross …. so cruel, so tragic.

Oh, Did the shepherds really know
How very blessed they were that night,
To be summoned by the angels
And led to the wondrous sight?

Of the love of God incarnate
Lying there upon the hay?
Did they know they were observing
The Truth! the Life! the Way?

God’s Spirit beckons me today...
Come to the manger and rejoice!
Worship the perfect sinless Christ
And give Him praise with heart and voice!

As I wonder about the shepherds,
Who lived so many years ago,
I’m asking myself the question now,
Do “I” really truly know?

Just how precious was that gift
God sent to us that night;
How hopeless I would be
If He had claimed His sovereign right?

And kept the only Son He had
To reign with Him on high;
Not willing to make the sacrifice
And send His Son to die?

I offer praise to God this Christmas
For I really don’t know why
He sacrificed His precious Son
For sinners such as I.

Or... do I know why?
Of course I know why !!!!
God is LOVE John 3:16

© Shirley Adcock Baucom 11-29-10

[For God so loved the world[ (including me) that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever(including me) believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life John 3:16
Glory to God in the highest,
and on earth, peace and good will to all men!!
Last edited by Shirley Baucom on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:27 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hope
Diamond Member

Re: Did the Sshepherds Really Know?

Post by Hope » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:07 am

Shirley,
What a Blessing this was to me today I Love it! I hung onto everything you wrote here and was so touched by it. I Loved what you wrote at the end and like you I am so Grateful that I know why Jesus came to earth, For us all. This is so Good.

God Bless You Love Eva

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Re: Did the Shepherds Really Know?

Post by Shirley Baucom » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:34 pm

Thank you so much, my dear friend! I'm so glad you were blessed by my poem. You know Eva, as I am inspired with something about the coming of our Savior, it is so awesome, and I feel very inadequate to express the glory and wonder surrounding His birth, but as I wrote, I prayed my poem would add something to someones worship and celebration during this Christmas season, as the Christmas poems I have read here have added to mine. I'm thankful it spoke to your heart and I hope God's Spirit will inspire others with something He has given me here. You are such a blessing to me!
Love and prayers, Shirley

STMarvin
Registered Member

Post by STMarvin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:14 am

Did the shepherds really know? I never thought about it in this way, but yes... did they know, could they sense the importance? Perhaps their inclusion in this great story is that they represent us... the unnamed observer on the hill. Would we have known? Could we have sensed the importance of it ? Your poem poses a question for us all-- would we really know? Very well done. Thanks.

Shaun
"And the end of all our exploring / Will be to arrive where we started / And know the place for the first time." --T.S.Elliot

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 pm

Dear Shaun, Thank you very much for your kind comments on my poem. I really appreciate you reading it and sharing your insight about that wondrous night. Wishing you much peace, joy and love this Christmas, and always, Shirley B

Linner
Diamond Member

Post by Linner » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:28 pm

SHIRLEY:

“I am inspired with something about the coming of our Savior, it is so awesome, and I feel very inadequate to express the glory and wonder surrounding His birth, but as I wrote, I prayed my poem would add something to someone’s worship and celebration during this Christmas season, as the Christmas poems I have read here have added to mine. I'm thankful it spoke to your heart and I hope God's Spirit will inspire others with something He has given me here.”

DEAR SHIRLEY...ADD ME TO THE LIST OF INSPIRED ONES !! I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO THIS DAY OF WORSHIP WITH A DESIRE I HAVEN’T FELT IN A LONG TIME. I AM NOW LIVING IN MY OWN PLACE AGAIN, ALONE, AND FREE FROM THE NON-BELIEFS OF OTHERS WHO ALWAYS SEEMED TO FIND MINE SOMETHING TO SCOFF AND LAUGH AT. NOW I SEE THAT IT WAS THEIR OWN INSECURITY IN THEIR OWN BELIEF THAT CAUSED THAT. PERHAPS I MISSED OUT ON THE CHANCE THEN TO SPREAD GOD’S WORD, BUT I REALLY DON’T THINK THEY WERE READY TO HEAR IT FROM ME PERSONALLY. BUT NOW....NOW I AM SURROUNDED BY FRIENDS WHO DO BELIEVE AND WHAT A DIFFERENCE THAT HAS MADE IN MY LIFE. AND HERE ON HUGS, IT’S THE SAME...AND TODAY, YOUR POEM REACHED OUT TO ME WITH ITS POWER AND TOUCHED MY HEART. LEADING ME EVER ONWARD TO THE POWER AND THE GLORY...AND I SHALL END WITH AN “AMEN” !!! THANK YOU SO MUCH, GIRL...

LOVE AND BLESSINGS...LINDA

SHAUN:

“Did the shepherds really know? I never thought about it in this way, but yes... did they know, could they sense the importance? Perhaps their inclusion in this great story is that they represent us... the unnamed observer on the hill. Would we have known? Could we have sensed the importance of it ? Your poem poses a question for us all-- would we really know?”

SHAUN, I LIKE YOUR ANSWER HERE VERY MUCH. I BELIEVE THAT GOD DID WHAT HE KNEW WAS NECESSARY. THE SHEPHERDS, BEING POOR FOLK, WOULD BE MORE APT TO BELIEVE IN A SAVIOUR, I THINK, THAN THE ONES WHO WERE FINANCIALLY BETTER OFF. BEING IN THE FIELDS ALL OF THE TIME, THERE THEY WOULD SEE NATURAL MIRACLES EVERY DAY. THEY WERE WIDE OPEN TO RECEIVE THE CHRIST CHILD. THE WISE MEN, BEING WISE, WERE NECESSARY TO HELP SPREAD THE WORD AMONG THEIR PEERS. THEIR STATUS, BEING KINGS, WOULD HOLD GREAT WEIGHT AND THEREFORE THE NEWS THAT THEY BROUGHT TO SHARE WOULD TRAVEL FAR, JUST AS THEY HAD TRAVELED SO FAR. FOR THEY RECEIVED THE SIGN OF THE IMMINENT BIRTH OF THE CHRIST CHILD, AND CAME FROM AFAR TO WITNESS THIS MIRACLE. BEING RICH OR BEING POOR IS REALLY NOT THAT SIGNIFICANT WHEN IT COMES TO WHAT YOUR HEART AND SOUL TRULY BELIEVE IN...AND LIVE BY. I LIKED YOUR COMMENT ON SHIRLEY’S POEM, AND HOPE SHE DOESN’T MIND THAT I ANSWERED TO YOU HERE !! THANK YOU, AND GOD BLESS !!

LOVE, LINDA
Always be kind and fair; it all comes back to you in time ! Image

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:02 am

untitled.bmp   BIRTH OF BABY JESUS.jpg
untitled.bmp BIRTH OF BABY JESUS.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 6520 times
SHIRLEY B, GREAT POEM AND GREAT QUESTION FOR ALL TO POUNDER. A MARVELOUS POEM AND VERY TOUCHING DEAR FRIEND.
MANY BLESSING TO YOU AND YOURS. LOVE BRENDA

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:50 am

Dear Linda, It's so wonderful to hear from you and so glad you were inspired by my poem. Thank you so much for your comments and the expressions of your heart. You have such a wonderful testimony and I rejoice with you in in the blessings God has given you in your new home (the beautiful Kentucky mountains) and all the love, joy and freedom He's given you, Everything you write reflects the fullness of His Spirit and love flowing through you. Please forgive me for not always replying, but I read everything you post and am always blessed, whether its your poems, stories, or loving replies to what others write. NetHugs trully is a loving community of believers loving and encouraging each other. May God continue to bless and enrich the wonderful talents He's given you and keep you encirled in His Liight and Love, dear friend and sister in faith! Love and prayers, Shirley

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:13 am

Brenda, my dear friend, I'm so glad you liked my poem, and appreciate your kind, encouraging words very much. There's something in everything you write (God's Spirit, I'm sure) that gives me such a calm, reassuring sensation in my life and I am always encouraged by your comments, whether to me or to others. It's a very special gift of the Spirit you've been given, and as I read Lindas comments about the joy and freedom she's felt in the Lord since moving to Kentucky, I am reminded of comments I've read in various replies between the two of you, that you and your husband were used of God in helping her achieve this happiness and joy in her new home. Your caring heart and service to others, as I have seen here, are examples of other marvelous gifts God has endowed you with, and so many are blessed!
Thank you for all the great graphics you share. May this time of clebrating the birth of our Savior and what it has meant to all who accepted Him, bring you joy unspeakable and full of glory!
Love and blessings, Shirley

Sonny
Registered Member

Post by Sonny » Mon Dec 06, 2010 6:18 pm

Shirley,

I was truly blessed by this reminder and question posed. How appropiate for the Season and what a great reminder.

I like the note you put on the bottom. I like to think about the words "Whosoever" and "All". These two words are used many times in the Bible. God tells us in his word that his grace is sufficient for "ALL". This of course is all of the ,"Whosoevers" that believe in him.

We are so blessed.

Sonny

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 pm

Dear Sonny, I'm so glad you read my poem and were blessed by it! To God be the glory!
I really love the comments you added. He really is Savior to all who will come to Him and I pray that many people living without the knowledge and understanding of His great love will have their eyes and hearts opened during this wonderful time of celebration, and receive from Him the love, joy and peace He came to give. May God bless you and "yours" through this Christmas season and always.
Love in Christ, Shirley B

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 am

Dear Friends, this is a repost from December 2010.
I haven't written a Christmas poem in quite a while, but wanted to share something this year and hope you don't mind me bringing up an old one. Love and Christmas blessings to all! Shirley

Shirley Baucom
Platinum Member

Post by Shirley Baucom » Fri Dec 07, 2018 12:25 pm

As we celebrate Christmas, may our hearts be filled with the love and joy the shepherds felt when they knelt and worshipped the precious baby sent from God, who would bring salvation, love, hope and peace to us all! Glory be to Christ, our Lord!

Wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
Shirley