Post your friendship poetry here.
Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

BEST FRIENDS, AN ANSWER TO PRAYER

Post by Brenda Pike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:04 am

Scan_1.jpg
Scan_1.jpg (189.97 KiB) Viewed 8614 times
Best Friends, An Answer to Prayer

Lonesome and blue as an old whippoorwill, even his call sounded more cheerful than my feelings of loneliness. I had prayer with God about the matter, and ask Him to please help me find a friend, a real-true friend…

One Sunday, I drove my car to nowhere in particular, just drove along. I was on a quest in any direction to seek the unknown. My mission was to find and develop a much needed friendship.

Searching high and low, I found myself on a dead end street. Gazing around, I was lost for sure, and felt I had stepped back in time. I’d landed in a quaint, little settlement with birds singing, and where time seemed to stand still. I was frozen in time, a bit rattled, frightened, and nervous in these new surroundings.

From atop a garage roof, I heard a hammer banging away, apparently repairing a loose piece of tin. On the other end of that hammer was a redheaded woman peering down at me quizzically.

Politely, I shouted up to her, “Where am I?”

She climbed down the ladder, and answered my question with a question, “Where were you going?”

I answered, “Nowhere in particular, just out on a Sunday afternoon drive.”

She said, “You’re in High Bridge, Kentucky.”

Laughing, I asked, “Is this the end of the earth?” since the road ended at her place.

She laughed, and said, “No, I can show you how to get back to the main road, and interstate highway.

Seeing the front of my car, she suddenly noticed I had a Saddlebred horse plate on the bumper.

She almost shouted out, “Do you love Saddlebred horses too?”

I said, “Yes, I use to ride and show them all the time.”

With that, She came closer to the car, and we began to talk about our love for Saddlebred horses.

Being thrilled to talk with someone who knew about Saddlebreds was exhilarating. It took no time ‘til we introduced ourselves. She offered me ice tea. In the front yard was a swing, and we sat in that swing and sipped ice tea—chatting for hours.

We were both open and plainspoken girls, no pretense just two women needing friendship. She revealed she and her husband had just ended their marriage a few weeks before. I could see she was hurting, and lonely like me. She talked more about her horse, Snooch, than anything else. In my mind, I was hoping she would ask me if I wanted to see that horse, and she did. I was more than eager to pet his beautiful mane.

That was ‘Day One’ of our friendship starting in the spring of 1996.

She wanted a partner to ride with her on weekends, and of course, I decided I could fill the bill.

I bought a Saddle-bred as soon as I could find one. We rode every weekend from day’s first light ‘til dark. We were free as kids, riding with the wind in our faces—hair blowing wildly behind. We both loved the adventures only being seated on a powerful horse can bring.

We were “Free Spirits’ and our problems were forgotten. They seemed far less when we finished each ride, and had a new perspective on life. Together we pulled each other out of the depths of loneliness and insecurity, and brought forth our strengths and courage as women who finally knew what they wanted, and would not settle for less.

We both, Karen and I, have come a long way since those great riding days. And one thing I know for sure, God answered my prayer that day. I confess; God has always held my hand and guided me whenever I asked Him for help.

He knows what’s best—we need only ask, and He will help us find our way.

Brenda Clark Pike
©2011

A Story of Friendship...

Paul said “Be ye not fearful to entertain strangers for some have entertained angels unaware.”

Those are words of kind wisdom I have entertained my entire life—and thankfully so. By so doing, I have entertained many angels. Some have traveled by paw and hoof, some by other modes.

Brenda was just such an angel. Do I love her? Yes. Do I put up with her eccentricities? Yes. Sometimes I even encourage them because, you see, I am as eccentric as anyone could ever endeavor to be.

The day she fell out of heaven, I was tottering on my tiptoes on the top rung of a ladder with fingernails dug into a metal roof trying to stay upright. Being a strong-willed, single woman, there was no question I alone would repair the roof of the old summer kitchen that was now evidence of my hoarding overflow.

It was a cool day, and from my perch on the ladder, I could overlook the comings and goings around me through the top branches of young saplings, and had an aerial view of the one-lane road that ended at my house also.

I was in my own reverie of thought when a blue Cadillac drove down the lane, and stopped at the end of my road. The passenger window came down, and I could see a blonde woman peeping her head out. She had a look of, “Am I still in the same century, or what?” on her face, and her words echoed that look.

“Where am I?” she asked.

Well, one of my little quirks is; I’m not much into conversation unless it suits me, so my very sensible answer was short and brief, “Where do you want to be?”

She rattled off something, and then Harrodsburg came through clearly, and I began giving directions for her to turn around, go under the railroad trestle, and back to town. Then turn, and go across the river, past this farm, and past that other thing. End of story? Not so…

I was watching her back her car into my driveway to turn around when I saw the Saddlebred license plate on her front bumper. I slid down the ladder, and trotted over to her car all friendly now because she must love horses—my kind of horses.

We started talking, and I learned she had had a large training barn in Western Kentucky, and we were familiar with some of the same horses, and their owners. I decided I wanted to learn more about this woman, so I invited her to come around to the front porch, and have a glass of iced tea with me. She agreed, and we chatted, talked, and laughed for hours. That was the beginning of a wonderful friendship.

At the time, I was boarding my only horse, but took responsibility for his feeding, and turning him out in the pasture. As has been quoted, “there is something about the outside of a horse that is so good for the inside of man,” and I intuitively knew she needed to stroke the outside of a horse. She accepted my invitation to drive with me to the barn where Snooch (my horse) was being boarded. Hard to believe, but the gals that ran that barn had a wonderful, sensible trail horse named Jake who currently didn’t have a job to call his own. Brenda generously gave him one trail riding from then on.

We went riding that very evening, and every weekend after would find us on some trail somewhere. Oh, the times we have had together on the backs of our horses. There are so many, I’ll have to one day put them to print.

At the time, I didn’t know how much I needed Brenda. Sometimes angels are like that. I know that she filled a void in my life I was totally unaware of, and she kept me grounded. Sometimes, when you just let go, you become open to many miraculous marvels. Brenda recently shared with me what had compelled her to take out for parts unknown on that Sunday. It was ‘divine-intervention’ in both our minds.

She is an angel to me, (most of the time, hee-hee), and I do hope I was the angel she was looking to entertain so many years ago at our first meeting.

Karen Cantrell Brandt
©2011

Pokey's Heart
Diamond Member

Re: BEST FRIENDS, AN ANSWER TO PRAYER

Post by Pokey's Heart » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:25 am

Brenda and Karen, this was the most precious, inspiring combination of writes I've been blessed to read in a long time. God is so good! Thank you for this lovely, heartwarming trip down memory lane with the two of you, and may you both have many more chapters to add to this saga!
Love you always,
Pokey[attachment=0]AnimatedHorses.gif[/attachment]
Attachments
AnimatedHorses.gif
AnimatedHorses.gif (317.3 KiB) Viewed 8605 times
"I can do all things, through Christ, who strengthens me" Phillipians 4:13

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:47 am

DEAR POKEY, THANK YOU, SO GLAD YOU ENJOYED OUR STORY. WE HAVE MANY MORE STORIES TO TELL ABOUT OUR TRAIL RIDING DAYS AND EVEN OUR SPATS WHICH IS SOME TIMES TO FUNNY AND SILLY. BUT NEVER THE LESS WE'D HAD A WONDERFUL FRIENDSHIP AND MANY GOLDEN MEMORIES. GOD BLESS YOU. OH, I LOVE THE PHOTO OF THE WILD HORSES RUNNING, GREAT PHOTO. LOVE YOU, BRENDA

Hope
Diamond Member

Post by Hope » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:04 pm

brenda,
I could of just kept right on reading. I loved this and I felt like I was reading something out of Guidepost, it is so good! I am so happy for both of you what a wonderful friend you have in each other. God is so good and I am so grateful He always supplies just what we need!
God Bless You Love You Eva

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:36 pm

EVA, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT. IT IS SO TRUE WHEN WE ARE AT OUR LOWEST POINT AND ASK GOD FOR HIS HELPING HAND HE HAS NEVER FAILED ME. I BELIEVE WITHOUT A SHADOW OF DOUBT GOD ANSWERED MY PRAYERS THAT DAY, AND I KNOW HE PUT KAREN AND I TOGATHER FOR A GOOD REASON. KAREN AND I HAVE MANY HEART TO HEART DISCUSSION AND WE MAY NOT ALWAYS AGREE BUT THATS OKAY. WE SHARE SO MUCH AND BECAUSE OF IT WE HAVE A VERY STRONG BOND. BUT I'M THAT KIND OF PERSON TO BE SINCERE AND CLOSE TO MY WONDERFULS FRIENDS. GOD BLESS YOU. LOVE YOU, BRENDA

snoochie
Registered Member

Post by snoochie » Thu Jan 12, 2012 1:14 am

To all who read this, I sincerely hope it is an inspiration to allow angels unaware to visit with you. I am so glad that Brenda posted our story. We did not collaborate on the writing-both of us sat down at different times and each wrote about that first meeting in our own words. Our friendship runs true and deep and as Brenda mentioned, sometimes with hurdles that any close relationship has. We have weathered both storms and calm skies together and with divine intervention, will continue to do so for many, many years.
As Don Quixote did, I too, tilt at windmills!

Shirley Shaw
Diamond Member

Post by Shirley Shaw » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:44 am

DEAR BRENDA;
I MISSED THIS WRITE, I GUESS, BUT SO GLAD I CAME ACROSSED IT..(A WONDERFUL WRITE ON FRIENDSHIP)..A LOVELY STORY TO FOLLOW TOO..ENJOYED IT VRY MUCH, THANKS FOR SHARING ANOTHER PT. OF YOUR LIFE, WITH US ! BEAUTIFUL WRITE/STORY~~~"GOD BLESS"...(OUR FRIENDS ARE AN ANSWER TO OUR PRAYERS) THEY ARE ANGELS IN DISGUISE !~! TAKE CARE~~~LOVE & BESSINGS, ALWAYS,"YOUR FRIEND/SIS, 'PASTOR SHIRLEY ANN SHAW~~~~~

Brenda Pike
Diamond Member

Post by Brenda Pike » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:20 pm

PASTOR SHIRLEY ANN, THANK YOU FOR YOUR COMMENT. GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE TRUE STORY OF KAREN AND I FRIENDSHIP. IT IS SO GREAT TO SHARE MY STORIES OF THE THINGS IN MY LIFE THAT JESUS HAS HAD A HAND IN. THE BEST WAY I KNOW HOW TO GIVE HIM ALL THE GLORY AND PRAISE. GOD BLESS YOU AND YOURS. LOVE BRENDA

B.J.Morbitzer
Platinum Member

Post by B.J.Morbitzer » Sat Feb 02, 2013 8:42 pm

Dear Brenda.,
I missed this write myself and wanted to say this write was just beautiful.
Just an awesome write Brenda.
GLYASDI
B.J.